Tuesday, September 13, 2005

My Quest for a PhD ...

For the past 4 years I have been attending the PhD program in Computer Science of University of California in Santa Cruz. Now that I have completed most of the class work I am (sort of) ready to tackle that tiny problem of coming up with a dissertation topic and then actually writing it. Now, I have no illusions that my PhD work is going to change the world but doing this part-time while having a full-time job it better be something I enjoy. Well, I do enjoy sports, fast cars, my two kids, Ben and Jonas, but that ain't going to work ... Unless I can bribe the thesis committee to accept a proposal of studying an entire baseball season from a computer scientists point of view.

Anyway, so here I am and I am not quite sure on how to start this whole thing. It will definitely be in the area of information retrieval, indexing, etc., because that's where I have spent the last 4 years of my work life and it is actually very interesting. Will keep you posted here on what I am going to do ... (or not if it so secret that noone can ever find out).

No comments: