Friday, July 06, 2007

My first piece of furniture ...

Over the past few months I have been taking a "furniture design and construction" class through Santa Clara Adult Education and this is the result:


Image018.jpg
Originally uploaded by jmeyer


It wasn't really much of a class but rather a weekly get together of people who wanted to build something and like power tools. By signing up for a class you get to use a machine shop with lots of tools that are also suitable for larger projects. Cost (~ $10 for a 3 hour session) is very affordable, downright cheap if you consider what it would cost to rent or even buy all the equipment. The instructors are laid back and help you out when you get stuck or things get tricky. Other than that you on your own on what you want to build. I built a side table that my wife liked and I worked off of a picture from a Pottery barn catalog. I improvised here and there but I think it came out ok for the first piece.

No comments: