Thursday, March 16, 2006

It's been 3 months now ...

... that I have left IBM and started working for Yahoo! And thankfully, I haven't regretted that move at all. Let's be realists, it's still a job and I have yet to solve world hunger and acieve world peace. But it is fun for the most part. The biggest differences are that I am working on something completely different now than at IBM. It's pretty interesting for now (Javascript, PHP, AJAX), eventually, I think I want to go back to more backend type stuff. Remember, I still have a PhD to finish. There is tons of stuff in that area to do as well at Yahoo!, but it's nice to learn on how to write stuff that can show of cool backend functionality. The other big difference is culture. Even though the Almaden Research Center was a pretty relaxed place for IBM standards, things feel less serious at Yahoo!. And just by the nature of the work, I feel more connected to what people actually do with the stuff that Yahoo does. Heck, I use Yahoo products every day but who of the ordinary people uses a Bluegene? Don't get me wrong it was always interesting work at IBM and technically challenging but I never could escape the feeling that what I am doing is useful to only a handful of people. Overall, it's a nice change for now.
Things I don't like about Yahoo!? Well, I'd have to say the stock price ... needs to go up ... a lot! Other than that, things are good.

No comments: