Thursday, March 30, 2006

Smoking laws ...

Heard a piece on the radio this morning on my way to work. It was about laws that prevent people from smoking and whether the regulators/law makers are going too far by banning smoking outside (e.g., in parks or on beaches). This was then followed by the usual slew of phone calls for and against. While I am generally against anymore laws (I think there are enough laws already), I think it is always a good idea to protect people's health and the environment. I welcome the smoke free indoors in California, because I am a non-smoker, and I have no problem with people smoking outside in front of the buildings. If the smoke bothers me too much I can go around them. What is wrong though is the way many (not all, but many) smokers deal with the remains of the cigarette when they are done smoking. They simply toss the cigarette butt to the floor and step on it to make sure the concrete does not catch on fire ... and there we go. The next rain washes that waste into all the places you don't want it. (I encourage everyone to read this piece on toxicity and environmental impact of cigarette butts litter). It always amazes me how many people just toss their cigarette butts out of their car while driving. Which makes me wonder whether all these cars don't come with an ashtray. I bet they all have one but many smokers seem to think: "It's only a tiny cigarette butt". They are wrong and they should be prevented from tossing their crap into the street. Whenever I see something like it it makes me want to take my trash and dump it into their car or house. I bet you a million bucks that not a single one of these smokers would appreciate it. So if you smoke, be responsible and clean up after yourself. You are already ruining your health, don't ruin the environment more than necessary.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a pity you have removed your comment for joga.com, the google blog is still linking it. I came here because I share the same opinion as was in the deleted title...

Jörg said...

Turns out I was wrong and they since opened it for everyone. I was able to log on without getting invited first and I gave up after two screens of putting in personal info. Didn't impress me much so far ...