Monday, November 28, 2005

One more week ...

In a previous post I mentioned that I will be leaving IBM soon. Well, time went fast and I am in my last week. Feels a little weird knowing I will be doing a different commute soon, seeing other people and doing different work. There are a lot of things I enjoyed here at the IBM Almaden Research Center. I worked (or still work) with incredibly smart people, worked on some interesting projects and learned a lot of stuff. After this week, I will take a week off and then start my job at Yahoo!. Right now my official title at IBM is "Senior Software Engineer". At Yahoo! I will be called a "Technical Yahoo". Don't quite know yet what that means, but sounds pretty funny and less serious. May be part of my job will be to shout "Yahoo" all the time ... who knows. As I said before, leaving IBM leaves me with a bag of mixed feelings. I am excited to do something new but at the same time I am a little sad having to let go of a place I spent more time than at home (at times at least). But in the end, things at work developed differently than I had hoped. Now that I am getting ready to leave (cleaning out my fabulous window office), all I am hoping is that I made a difference in what I did and that Dan and Jeff don't find too many embarrassing bugs in my code. The treatment I got from my management after telling them about my resignation leaves absolutely nothing to be desired. They have been treating me very well and told me to come back should things not work out at Yahoo!. I guess that is a good sign that they liked what I did?
Anyway, just wanted to make clear that I am not leaving because I am bitter about IBM or people there. I strongly believe that my time has come to try something else and to seek a new challenge. I sort of made it at IBM (in ways that matter to me). Don;t get the wrong idea, unfortunately that did not make me rich ... ;-) Now, I want to see whether I can make it elsewhere. There is lots of other little issues that weighed into my decision to leave IBM but I don't want to bore you with all the nitty-gritty details. Let's just say that I believe that Yahoo! and the things it is offering and doing aligns better with my interests than IBM does. With that I am off to finding the remaining two bugs I don't want to hand over ...

No comments: