Friday, July 21, 2006

Almost didn't make it ...


Image012.jpg
Originally uploaded by jmeyer.
... to work this morning. What's that in the picture you ask? That's what's left of the rubber on my rear road bike tire. I was minding my own business in the bike lane when that tiny asian lady in her boring Toyota Camry decided to turn into the entrance of a parking lot and completely cut me off ... After she had sat in the turning lane for an eternity and I figured she had seen me, so I kept going. Turns out I was wrong and she started to cut me off. I grabbed the brakes as hard as I could, got out of my clipless pedals and started sliding towards her passenger side. Fortunately she saw and stopped so that I could hop onto the sidewalk and jump off my bike. Got lucky, this time. What did the lady do? Rolls down the window, flips up her full facial visor (you know, the black ones you always see on tiny asian women in minivans) and asks me whether I was alright. First I thought I should yell at her and tell her to never drive a car again but would it have mattered? Most likely not. So I picked up my bike and noticed a wobble in the rear wheel. Caused by the missing rubber. I was going abotu 20mph when this happened and it would have hurt. At least that's what I think. My heart rate after that was about 180 for a while. What's the moral of the story? Watch out for those people wearing full facial visors. They may not see you because they have that thing in front of their faces. And further watch out for that certain demographic. They simply can't drive or are just too clueless. I am glad my brakes worked and that I made it to work in one piece. At least I get to go to a bike store again and drool over those ridiculously expensive bikes.

1 comment:

Tom said...

What's with asian people and those visors? They seem to be the only people I ever see using them. I also see them using umbrellas a lot.