Tuesday, July 04, 2006

The Dream is over ...

Watching the Soccer world cup throughout the last three and a half weeks was really cool. And it was fun and exciting to watch my home country go all the way to the semifinals. They have been better than expected and they put an entire nation into a World Cup frenzy. Even over here, more than 6500 miles away we were thrilled to watch the German national team win and, what's even better, play attractive soccer. Starting with group play, the expectations grew and the dream of winning it all became more real. Unfortunately, it ended today with a 2-0 loss to Italy, which weren't necessarily the better team but they were efficient. Germany has a very young team, and hopefully, 4 years from now, they will back to try for that elusive fourth World Championship. See you in 4 years in South Africa ... I am hoping now that France will go all the way. Not that I am very fond of the French, but I like Zinedine Zidane. In my opinion he is one of the best players of the last decade and it would be great to see him win a World Cup before he retires. I guess it's now Go Germany to win third place on Saturday and Go France to win it all.

1 comment:

Jörg said...

I meant to say "another World Cup before he retires". He in fact played in the 1998 final and scored two goals in the 3-0 win over Brazil.